Argentina Travel Update
Borders Reopening to International Travelers on November 1, 2021
We are thrilled to let you know that our Argentine government has just announced that Argentina will be opening its borders to our international friends starting November 1.
In a press conference on early October 1, Argentina’s Minister of Health, Carla Vizzotti announced that the government will reopen its borders to all international travelers on November 1 with proof of a full Covid vaccination, a negative PCR test within 72 hrs of arrival. Travelers will also need to have an additional PCR test 5-7 days after their arrival (El Encuentro will be able to offer this required test from the Lodge).
As we have seen since March of 2020, the Covid 19 pandemic created a complex and fluid situation for international and domestic travel. After many months of darkness, there is now a very bright light at the end of this long tunnel, and we will be able once again to welcome our friends back to Patagonia.
As we transition through this reopening phase, we will update this page immediately, as well as communicating on our social media pages and our email newsletter. If you haven't done so already, be sure to follow El Encuentro Fly Fishing on Instagram and Facebook, and sign up for our monthly newsletter at the bottom of this page.
As in all our earlier Travel Updates, here are the 4 fundamental questions we continue to ask -- from the perspective of an international traveler such as you, our extended family of El Encuentro friends.
1. Can you currently enter Argentina?
● YES!! The current decree opens Argentine borders to international travelers on November 1, 2021.
● Proposed travel requirements include proof of vaccination, negative PCR test at least 72 hrs before time of travel, antigen test upon arrival and additional PCR test 5-7 days after arrival in Argentina. Those who are not fully vaccinated, including minors, must perform quarantine, a PCR test on arrival, and an additional test on day 7.
● The government has also proposed the possibility of eliminating the need for the additional PCR test after arrival in Argentina once 50% of Argentines are fully vaccinated. At this time roughly 48.75% of the total population is fully vaccinated and there is a robust campaign underway to continue rolling out doses.
2. Once in Argentina, can you travel to the Chubut Province, and ultimately reach the El Encuentro Flyfishing Lodges?
3. Having reached the El Encuentro Lodge, Valle del Carrileufu or Brook Trout Basecamp, can you move around freely and access all the wonderful Patagonia fly fishing that you traveled so far for?
4. Can you return home after your trip?
● The US may require a negative PCR or antigen test for your return. Be sure to check this country’s requirements.
What to Expect Next
● We will update you as soon as we have an updated schedule for internal flights between Buenos Aires and Esquel and/or Bariloche.
● Please let us know if you would be interested in learning more about the private charter flights we will be offering our guests.
Covid testing at El Encuentro
Testing is a part of the world we now live in, and will likely be a part of any travel requirements for the foreseeable future.
We have secured the services of a local biotech lab (owned and operated by a dear friend and member of the El Encuentro extended family) to administer and process tests at El Encuentro. This will allow us to provide the necessary testing to meet the 5-7 day test required by Argentina, as well as any testing needed for your return trip home.
Additionally, should the need arise at any other time during your stay in Patagonia you will have access to fast reliable testing.
Protect your Investment with Trip Insurance and Travel Booking Services
We are thrilled to partner with Kanna Travel, a US-based, full-service travel agency whose team of seasoned professionals offers international ticketing, trip insurance, and emergency evacuation solutions for fly fishing and hunting travel. This partnership will allow El Encuentro Fly Fishing to offer our friends access to the industry’s finest travel insurance products, that can include a “cancel for any reason” rider, as well as comprehensive international travel booking services to help you navigate schedule changes and other potential complications.
When you book a trip with El Encuentro Fly Fishing we want you to know that we have your back. Click Here to read more about Trip Insurance and Travel Booking Services.
Still Have Questions? We Are Here!
This is a dynamic situation with complex variables changing rapidly, often times without prior notice. The El Encuentro Family has deep roots throughout Argentina. We are the oldest lodge in our region with a vast network of partners developed over decades of operating in Patagonia. We are in constant contact with colleagues, associates, suppliers, and officials on the ground here in Argentina.
Please feel free to contact us anytime with questions, or to chat about how and when to start planning your next trip to Patagonia.